Friday, December 24, 2010

Today You are You Brought to You by Dr. Seuss

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
 Dr. Seuss


You are you and I am me, and between the two of us...that is pretty awesome!  I've spent a good chunk of my past wondering who I was.  And last night while on my many thought trains, it hit me in the face. 

I knew who I was. 

I am me. 

So many years wasted trying to define myself.  Searching for my place in the world.  Trying to squeeze my way in like a puzzle piece.  All the time spent feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. 

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
Dr. Seuss


I have titles that define me...wife, mom, friend, daughter, auntie, cousin, sister, writer, knitter...they all pull together to help me be me.  

I have spent so many moments thinking that I should be more, do more, be big.  Somewhere along the lines I figured out that I didn't need to be big.  I just needed to be me.  See, Theodor Seuss Geisel was right.  The answer was simple.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Dr. Seuss


I told myself once that I didn't care what people think.  For the most part that is true.  A small part of me cares.  Some are influential and some are just plain rude, but I don't let their opinions dictate my actions anymore.  That helps. 

I have learned from experience to surround myself with great people.  You should too.  Even if it's just one or two great people.  They make a huge difference.   Trust me, you probably already have them in your life...and they already love you for you.  Sometimes when we get wrapped up in ourselves we have a hard time seeing around us. 

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own.  And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.”
 Dr. Seuss


So today go out into the world with a smile on your face.  Why?  Because you are you!  And that is great enough! 

“And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
 Dr. Seuss


Dr. Seuss was a genius.  He knew you were you before you did.  How awesome is that? 

“You are you. Now, isn't that pleasant?”
Dr. Seuss 

So you be you, and I'll be me.  Between the two of us, that's pretty amazing.      

No comments:

Post a Comment