Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Public Declaration

I have thoughts.  Yes, I have them.  I am not sure if that is a good thing or not ;).  I have been scrolling my bookmark bar and browsing in the #reverb10 thread on twitter.  Reading, reading and more reading.  I always end up having more questions than answers.  A lot of posts about goals and where people are going in the new year.  And once again, a thought hit me

I have no goals.

Let me back up a bit.

I have no current goal.

I believe that it's important for people to always be moving.  Just like water, being stagnant is bad.  Sometimes we move forward through life, sometimes in the other direction, but we are still moving.  So I have decided that in an effort to move in some sort of direction, I need to come up with my own Personal Manifesto.

Until recently I had no idea what the heck a "Personal Manifesto" was.  So I turned to my be all end all of information i.e. Google.

Let me share from Ehow

A manifesto is a public declaration of principles and intentions. Determining yours will help you keep your life on a clearly defined path.


  • 1 Brainstorm on what is important to you. To start, list your roles in life, either current roles or ones you desire in the future. For example: father, mother, friend, worker, role model, volunteer. Just a word or two on the ones that speak to you.


  • 2 Also list qualities you value in yourself and others: Honesty, physical fitness, kindness, ambition, curiosity, affection, responsibility, humor.


  • 3 More brainstorming: What do you want people to say about you at your funeral? What contributions would you have liked to have made with your life? What are the important marks you will make on this world? List them. Try this, too: Ten (or twenty or more) things about me: (list them here). What do these say about you and what's important to you?


  • 4 Now boil it all down to as many sentences as you need to give a clear picture of who you are at your essence. You might find it helpful to start sentences with I am or I will. This is not cast in stone, come back and refine or change your personal manifesto as you grow and change.



  • I found another good link here at e.phanies.

    So here and now I have dedicated to myself and my oh so loyal readers that I will work on and complete a Personal Manifesto for 2011!  I will take you along on the journey with me...So let the brainstorming begin!  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment