Friday, December 10, 2010

The Oscar for Supportive Wifey Goes To...

December 10 – Wisdom Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?

At the same time last year, we were stressed.  My Hubs was unhappy with his job.  He had already survived more than five rounds of layoffs.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you how many there were because I stopped counting after five.  He decided to make a lateral move in the company.  New boss, new position.  He was excited at first.  He would be doing something that was in the same field that he wanted.  But we both quickly realized that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.  I think that the last straw was when his boss called and wanted him to fly to New York two days before Christmas.  He knew he wasn't happy, and although he didn't say anything for awhile, I knew he wasn't happy.  So what do you do?  He stuck through it because he wanted to provide for his family. 

Soon after that, wheels started turning.  Things were put in motion and a position opened up with another company.  A company that he had dreamed about working for.  There was some politics involved.  The company he was at didn't want to let him go.  So there was some stress about that as well. 

Supporting him never seemed like a choice.  It was just a given.  We discussed it, and waited.  I told him to do whatever it takes.  I just wanted him to be happy.  At the time the risks were worth it.  Whatever happened we had each other, we had our daughter.  He has always been a great provider, that's just the sort of man he is.  I have no doubt that he will continue to be.  At the same time I don't want him to be miserable while doing so.  So, I stood by him while he took a giant leap.

The adjustments in the beginning where a challenge.  Some took longer to get used to than others.  I think that nine months later we have done a good job of settling in.  The mood this year definitely seems different.  We seem to be focusing more on the holiday, the decorations and the Peppermint Mochas.  We don't feel as stressed as last year.  At least I don't. 

Although, right now the Hubs is sick.  So if you ask him if this year is better I'm not sure he will give you a positive answer.  But that has more to do with the fact that he is grumpy when he is sick.  But don't worry, I will have a nice hot cup of tea and a bowl of soup waiting for him when he gets home  . 

No comments:

Post a Comment