Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Series of Unfortunate Events

December 29 – Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year.

I've never really been a fan of hospitals.  When I was a little girl my daddy was a nurse.  So I had always been around them.  Growing up in a farm town they were always small hospitals.  I can easily say that I have never been afraid of them.  Just not a fan.

This past year we have visited three different hospitals more times than I can even count.  Seriously, I lost count.  Once a week, sometimes two different hospitals in a week.  A few times we took a week off, if to do nothing but save our sanity.  Hub's Aunt was fiercely battling Ovarian Cancer.  While at the same time his mom had suffered from a Seizure among other health problems.  Our family is no stranger to hospitals.  One year we pretty much camped out in a waiting room for longer than a month anticipating any form of news. 

We have accepted that at this point there is nothing we can do, other than to visit and offer our support and love.  There are times that we feel that it simply isn't enough.  But at the same time we don't know what else we can do.  So we visit. 

In October, his Aunt lost her fight with cancer.  We all knew it was coming.  For the last three years we had been waiting.  They had always been very honest with us about her condition.  Even when you think that you will be prepared to hear the news, you can never truly be prepared.

Our year had been consumed by hospital visits and suddenly they were over.  Even though we are relieved that we are not longer making rounds we are saddened that his aunt is no longer with us. 

My hope is that for next year we will not have as many visits.  I know that in all reality that we will be.  But at least I can hold on to some sort of hope.  Or at least perhaps that they are for a positive note...like visiting brand new just born babies!    

No comments:

Post a Comment