Tuesday, November 1, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Day 1

I'm taking the Facebook meme off of Facebook and putting it up on my blog.  You know how I love me some memes.

So Day 1:  I am thankful for my sense of humor!

The last several days, I have been the butt of several rounds of the same joke.  Had I been getting a dime for every time I've been made fun of, I would have enough to take myself to Disneyland.

It is however, all my fault.  And I am learning how to take my lumps.

So the backstory...

After my awesome Repunzel pumpkin, we still had three pumpkins left.  I really wanted to open them up and roast up some seeds.  I had broken the two saws in the kit so on Saturday, I opted for the steak knife.  Anyone want to guess what happens next?  An ER trip, 5 hours and eleven stitches later...I nominated myself for the Darwin Award.


So it's been very slow going typing this.  I have to slow my thoughts down to keep up with my one hand.  My LEFT hand.  I sliced my pinky and my ring finger on my right dominant hand.  During the entire time I remained calm and kept my sense of humor.  Yes, I was scared and in pain but freaking out wouldn't have helped the situation one bit.  So we joked around while we waited.  I guess being together with the Hubs as long as I have, we have lots of material to joke about.  I made some comment about tetanus and lockjaw.  The hubby came back with "ahh peace and quiet".  We glanced at the nurse and the look on her face was one of total shock.  I was laughing so hard on the inside.

Even when we came out to greet my friend who graciously showed up to watch Clover, I was singing "I got eleven stitches!"  It was sung horribly and off key.  My darling Clover was a trooper and actually liked going to the hospital because she wants to be a "doctor or a mermaid".  However, the poor thing woke up with cold this morning.  Wiping her nose with my left hand has proven to be a bit of a challenge.

Most of the joking has come from people who know me and love me (and I love them so I have been letting it slide) but the most surprising comments have been from total strangers.  I've actually had two checkers at stores ask me what I did and after hearing my explanation felt the need to add their own colorful commentary.  One smarty actually asked me if I knew I was supposed to carve the pumpkin and not myself.  Hardy har har dude.

I'm thinking, maybe I should start a jar and everyone who makes fun of me can add their own ten cents.  And when I am all healed up I'll be chillin in Anaheim with a cocktail in my good hand and my full jar of dimes in the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment