Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 20 - Do the Brine

30 Days of Thanks

Day 20 - I am thankful for my countertop turkey roaster that I bought at Target on sale.  Best 27 dollars I ever spent.


This year I purchased a countertop turkey roaster.  I always stress out over Turkey Day because we have one oven and by the time the bird goes in it there is no room for any sides.  This year I don't have to worry.  See working on the zen thing already!

Of course I did a test turkey since I have never used a countertop roaster before.  It is very similar to a crockpot.

I used Alton Brown's brine recipe on the bird and brined him up overnight and part of the next day.  The only change I made was that I used chicken stock instead of vegetable.  I couldn't find veggie stock anywhere in my store.  I also used ground fresh ginger since my store also didn't carry candied ginger.  I popped him in the roaster around 2 and he was nice and done by 4:30.  I over estimated my time and figured it would take longer so dinner was a little early.  I turned it on low while I made some sides to go with it.  Let me just tell you that gravy from a brined turkey is absolutely the best gravy you will ever put in your mouth.  I am just letting you know now.  It seems like a lot of work to brine but the flavor is so worth it!  I have made this recipe for a few years now and always had a delicious bird!  I am very happy that it turned out so well on the counter.    

No comments:

Post a Comment