Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oh, The Things We Do

Like I have mentioned we are in full blown Princess Mode in our house.  So when it was suggested that Clover could indeed have a "Princess" pumpkin, you know she jumped on that as fast as she could.  She expressed that she wanted a Repunzel pumpkin.  Daddy/Flynn Rider got involved, googled and found a stencil from Disney Family Fun.  I have to admit that I am not talented when it comes to anything Halloween related.  Usually my Jack O Lantern gets two wonky eyes, a nose and a goofy mouth.  This year I felt that I could step it up a bit.  That and I wanted to give my darling princess her very own princess pumpkin.  About two minutes later I realized I had no idea what I was doing.  I guess it's good to step out of one's comfort zone every now and then.

  
I suggest that if you are going to attempt any pumpkin stenciling that you not chose a pumpkin that is 8 inches thick.  Okay it wasn't 8 inches thick, it was about four.  The small knife that came in the carving kit wasn't long enough to go through the pumpkin.  Several of the pieces I had to cut more than once.


Picking the stencil was the easiest part.  She already knew what she wanted before we even knew if we could do it.  Disney Family Fun has lot's of other stencils/templates to choose from here.  Use plain o printer paper because you will be poking lot's of little holes in it.

Notice the M*A*S*H shirt?  I was preforming pumpkin surgery!
Just call me Hawkeye!
 
Tape down your template and poke lots and lots of little holes to transfer your design onto the pumpkin.  The paper folded here and there because you are trying to put a rectangular piece of paper onto a round pumpkin.  I wasn't going for exact science so I made it work.

Poke, poke, cut, cut, saw, saw, comment on how the knife hasn't broken yet.  *Knife Breaks*  Then curse under you breath so the little one can't hear you.  Continue on with the little knife that won't go all the way through your massive gigantic pumpkin.  *Little Knife Breaks*.  This is the part where you resist the urge to bash your forehead on the table.  Laugh it off and move on.  


  
Oh the things we do for our children!  It was fun stepping out of my zone but for the next pumpkins I'm going simple!

1 comment: