Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Phases of the Princess

There are a lot of things on the "I'm never going to do that when I'm a parent" list.  Right up there with the binky and the kid in my bed thing was anything related to Princesses.  I remember when I was pregnant and we found out we were having a girl, I did my best to avoid anything related to pink.  Even when we did her nursery we avoided the pink walls and went with a Care Bear theme.  Okay I will admit that the Care Bear theme was more for me than it was for her.

If you haven't figured it out yet, my poor Clover does not have a girly girl as a mom.  I've been making more of an effort.  I do my nails now and sometimes sport pink.  I am making baby steps.

I wondered if she would make her way towards the pink princess girly girl light.  Every time she was given a choice she would choose whatever the opposite was.  She was stuck on Toy Story for awhile.  It was one of the first movies she actually sat all the way through.  When we took her to see Tangled, she hardly seemed interested.

It's so funny how in the beginning the Princess thing was the last thing I wanted but now that she's three and half, I was wondering if we had skipped that phase.  I was a little sad.

Then like a roar of thunder we entered the Princess phase, booming.

Every day we dress up.  Mostly Clover, but I have been known to sport a crown every now and then.   Even right now I had to take a break to paint some very tiny, very wiggly fingernails.

It seems as if every hour we are playing a new "pretending" game.  If she is Repunzel then Daddy is the dashing Flynn Ryder and I am "Mudder" or Mother.  Yay, Daddy gets to play the good guy and I get to play the witch who dies from rapid aging while falling out of window.  However when she is Alice, I get to be the beautiful White Queen.  WQ is a little spacey but at least I am a good guy in this game.  In the last week I have been Tiana, Arista, Cinderella, Ursula, Mother, and the White Queen.

I've been surrounded by tule, crowns, costumes, pink, purple and everything in-between.  She grabs the detangler and the brush at any chance she gets so she can do my hair.  It's a phase that I never thought I wanted and somewhat dreaded but now that I am in the middle of it, I wouldn't have it any other way.  I know there is a balance because this is the same girl who isn't afraid to get dirty and still manages to paint her entire body when she paints.  If there is a mud puddle you can guarantee she is in the middle of it.  After she is showered and fresh the first thing she wants to do is dress up again.

She had declared that she wants make-up for Christmas.  I'm not sure if I am ready to make that leap yet so we might wait til next Christmas or maybe put that off another ten.  I'm not sure how long this phase will last but for now we seem pretty comfortable in the Princess phase so I will just sit back and enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to girl world! I love every day of it...glitter, bows & way to puffy skirts...heaven

    ReplyDelete