Friday, March 25, 2011

Mellow

Day 25:  Mellow

As in Marsh.  Home made Marshmallows to be more specific.

We spent the day loungin around the house.  I worked out in the back and then tidied up the house a bit.  Then Clover and I got in the kitchen.

"Can we make them colors?

Why not?  So we followed this recipe by Alton Brown.



The peanut butter on the counter will be used at a later time.  We followed all the steps.  Clover measured and added and entire container of blue food coloring to the gelatin.


Marshmallows are pretty easy to make.  I've made them in the past with both a hand mixer and with a stand mixer.  It is do-able with a hand mixer but my hand went numb from holding the mixer for fifteen minutes.  I prefer my stand mixer now days.


We spread them out in the pan and very patiently waited for them to firm up.



After dinner we took our bounty outside and roasted them over a fire.  They were very delicious and very messy.  Not only did the three year old get covered in them but I took a hit too.  Bright blue melted marshmallow goo down the front of my shirt.

Silliness followed after Clover went to sleep.  There was some left over chocolate and some toasted coconut that just happened to be laying out and just happened to somehow make it onto the marshmallows. Two were slathered with peanut butter and dipped in chocolate for the one that doesn't do coconut.  They are currently hardening in the fridge.



I have to say that this is a pretty mellow way to end a very crazy week!

1 comment: