Sunday, September 30, 2012

La Luna Inspired

As I have stated many times before I have no idea what I am doing.  :)  I like to experiment.  Sometimes these projects go great without any snags or hangups.  Some crash and burn while some take a little bit of time before I get any sort of result.

Friday I tried my hand at working with polymer clay.  I've watched the tutorial videos and tips on the websites but it's something I have never played with.  It's not what I expected and took three tries to get anywhere close to what I wanted but I like how the final pendent turned out.

It was mostly inspired by this outfit at Disney by Design.


Let me just warn you that you may get lost in that website.  There are so many outfits to explore.  So I wanted that pendent but it was sold out so I started brainstorming and came to the conclusion that I wanted to make my own.


Polymer clay moons and stars.  

Moons made out of stars


I didn't have a pasta roller for the clay.  So I used the next best thing.  My tortilla press with a ziplock bag.

Like I said it took about three tries to get them to look like what I wanted.  Sometimes I have an idea in my head that I have a hard time making a reality.  Luckily I had a Creative Consultant to bounce ideas off while I was experimenting.  I also had little fingers in the mix who wanted to help and create her own necklace.  That's where all the hearts come in.  She squished her clay and then cut some tiny hearts out.

I did have a hard time understanding the plastic clay concept.  I thought that it was going to be like playdough and I would just sculpt with it and it would be all easy peasy.  And while it was pretty simple it wasn't what I expected.  It was still pretty fun though.  At one point put the clay in a bag in my pocket to warm it up and make it a little pliable.  I also had a hard time with the curing process.  When the clay came out of the oven it was still movable but I later read that if you leave it alone it will harden while it cools.  It did.  I just have to sting them and they will be ready.

And if you haven't seen the Pixar short that inspired all of it, here it is...


Sorry it's just a peek.  



No comments:

Post a Comment