Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Perspective

I think at some point in your life you have moments where you have to look up and adjust your perspective.


I have been presented with situations in the last week that have taken me out of my little personal reality bubble.  Situations that may or may not have included me but have helped me adjust my perspective.

Lesson Number One:  I'm not perfect?  Gasp!  I know, I was shocked to hear the news too.  Sometimes I try my hardest to be Super Woman.  I would say Wonder Woman but I just don't think I could pull off that outfit.  Or I could be She-ra and be a princess and have super powers. If I'm a princess does that mean I get out of toilet scrubbing duty?  Cuz that would be awesomesauce!

Most of the time I am okay with not being perfect.  And then there are times when I try with all my super power might but still fall short.  Only to look around and realize that I was the only one holding myself to such high standards.  So I had to reel myself back a bit this week and once again be okay with the girl looking back in the mirror.  We are now again on speaking terms.

Lesson Number Two:  Cherish and Respect My Relationship.  The second situation I was presented with kinda put me in a state of shock.  A couple that we knew split up.  For as long as we had known them they had been a couple.  They had decided that they were better off as friends at this point in their lives.  There was no bitterness or name callings.  No burning of the ex's picture.  I definitely respect them for the way they are handling the situation.  Now I have to adjust to the fact that they are no longer a couple.  This has spurred so many thoughts in my head in the last 24 hours.  What if the person you sleep next to wasn't there anymore?  You just always assume that person will be there.  So this has jarred me a bit and made me appreciate my relationship with the hubs a little more.  Less nittypickness today. 

Lesson Number Three:  Play more.  Friends are great.  They help me stay grounded.  I read a friend's blog this week that reminded me that it's totally okay to stop and play.  Not only is it okay but it's encouraged!  It's beneficial, not only to your children but to your well-being as well.  Sometimes in all the hustle and bustle of life we forget this fact.  Don't forget it.  Play more.

Lesson Number Four:  Everything Is Okay.  During a conversation with a friend today, I had a revelation.  Everything is totally okay.  I was too busy wondering if things were okay that I didn't look around to see that things were indeed okay.  I don't know if it's that whole "holding myself to ridiculous standards" thing or not but I had been in this rut.  Today I was gently pulled out of it by a reassuring friend.

Lesson Number Five:  I bet at this point you are wondering how long this thing can be...last one.  Enjoy.  Enjoy what?  Enjoy everything.  We took a last minute trip to the mountains yesterday and it was one of the best days I have had in a long while.  The snow on the ground was gorgeous and reminded me of simple beauty.  The smell of the pine trees encompassed all of me and left me with a sense of serenity.  There is a reason people pay so much for candles that smell somewhat close to those trees.  Everything that I worried about seemed so small in comparison to my surroundings.  It was so much fun to be out with the hubs and watch Clover explore the snow.  She ate it, a lot of it, and loved it.  I enjoyed myself, and loved it.  No big hullabaloo.  Just a simple drive to see some snow to remind myself to enjoy life.  I took lots of pictures to remind myself that it's okay to stop and enjoy the moment.

I think in a small way I have changed a bit this last couple of days.  These few experiences have made me change my way of thinking.  They have adjusted my point of view of myself.  I believe for the better.  If I'm not able to recognize these moments as lessons to learn from then I feel that I have become stagnant.  Some days I am not sure if I am moving in the right direction.  But as long as I am moving, I feel alright.  I just need to remind myself to look up every now and then check out my perspective.             

No comments:

Post a Comment