Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Tiana Tutu

Yes, I said MY tutu.  I have mentioned before that Tiana is my favorite Disney Princess, right?  yeah, I'm pretty sure I have.   

I think I work better under a deadline.  Which is why I wait so long before starting projects.  I've had this fabric for probably three months now.  I have known what I wanted to do with it.  But there it sat.  Just waiting.  I told myself I was waiting for inspiration to strike.  In all honestly I was just waiting for that "oh crap I've got to get this done" moment to kick in. 

So I had this fabric.  Then I decided that it wasn't right for what I was going for.  So I bought new fabric.  And then that sat around.  Then I got lazy and decided to order something off of Etsy.  Which was amazingly awesome but I ordered the wrong size.  Totally and completely my own fault.  I should have known better.  But in my rush to get it here on time I didn't take into account that I am not a "one size fits most" kind of person.  It was more of a "this size fit one side of my bust" kind of a situation.  So I himmed and hawed over it and decided to buy a shirt and wear the bottom.  Then the blues didn't match and I spent some time yesterday trying to figure out what I was going to do in my head.  So I started working on it last night.

I cut out the leaf panels and then lined them with some fray check.

I used fray check mostly because I was being lazy and partly because the fabric was super slippery.  I didn't want to spend all day finishing my edges.  I love the green fabric even though it was slippy.  It has a sparkle too it and a shimmer to it.  It actually is very lovely.  I draped one of the leaves on to figure out how many were going to fit across my waistline. 

Then I started pleating three yards of tulle to get it to the width  of the leaves.  This was the most frustrating part.  I restarted about four times.  Twice I over pleated and the the third time I under pleated.  The last time I got it close and called it at that.
     

Look at all those pins!

I really hate pins.  I don't know why.  I have never liked doing it.  But for the sake of my tutu I stuck with it.  I laid the tulle over the wrong side of the leaves and then folded over and inch to create the waistband for the elastic.  I wiggled in my elastic and it all came together.  I am very happy with the way it turned out. 

I am so excited to wear it!     

Now I just have to find a shirt to match! 

No comments:

Post a Comment