Thursday, November 29, 2012

Nom nom nom

There isn't a picture of my Traditional After Thanksgiving Breakfast. a.k.a pie, this year.  I forgot.  But if you want a picture from last year here you go.  So then I got to thinking about what it is that I love about having pie for breakfast.  Yes, there is the whole "I'm an adult so I can have pie for breakfast if I want" attitude but I think it was something deeper than that.  And then there is the fact that it is delicious (my Mom does make some rockin pies).  So I started thinking and came to the conclusion that I love pumpkin custard.

So I started looking at recipes figuring I would just make pie filling and I started getting a little discouraged because I was missing some ingredients.  So then I came across this recipe at Nom Nom Paleo for Pumpkin Coconut Maple Custard Cups.  I've dabbled in Paleo here and there and have loved every recipe I have tried.

So I actually had all the ingredients in my cupboard!  Yay!  Okay most of them.  I didn't have Grade B syrup so I used Grade A but I didn't quite have enough so I added a little maple sugar which I bought when I was switching sweeteners.  I also used a whole small can of Pumpkin puree.  I looked at the can after I measured out the 3/4 cup and I couldn't justify throwing away the rest so I threw it all in there.  I also doubled all the spices.  I like things spicy, just in case you didn't know.  

        

I didn't have 10 ramekins.  Actually I don't even own A ramekin.  So I had to improvise.  What did I have?  A muffin tin and some muffin cups.  I still did the water bath because I have a pan large enough to fit my muffin tin.  I was a little worried that they would cook faster being that the pan was metal but I actually had to cook them a little bit longer.

It was agonizing smelling all that loveliness but waiting for them to cool down!  

So I had one for breakfast...okay I had two.  And they were so gooooood!  Just like eating a piece of pie for breakfast only slightly healthier.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment