Monday, February 7, 2011

I Have Left My Confusion to a Cynical World

I have left my confusion to a cynical world
I am throwing myself at things I don't understand
Discover enlightenment holding your hand

You are..
So Beautiful
(From So Beautiful by Darren Hayes)


That was the song I was listening too when I got so caught up in the song that I drove right past my house.  I realized I drove past my house, waved, and then drove around the block listening and singing along to the rest.


I was lost in my own thoughts.  Somewhere between brainstorming and singing.  It's a good thing no one was around to hear me because my voice is normally terrible but add the lovely cold that I have and it's pretty awful!  But lucky, I have the ability to laugh at myself and sing anyways.


It's that time of year again.  Pink and Red everywhere you turn.  Lots of advertisements telling boys to buy girls shiny things.  And lots of billboards showing you where to buy flowers.  Shortly after New Years, all of the lovely red and pink hearts start coming out.  A lot of people gripe that they are out early and that Valentine's day isn't until February.  Not me.  I doddle through all of the isles, gazing at it all.  What?  Like I said, it's pretty.  


I know that some of you out there in the world believe that Valentine's Day is a "commercial holiday" generated by the greeting card company.  So to you I say...so what?  You don't have to buy in.  You don't have to buy Valentines or anything remotely pink or red if you do not wish to do so.  "We should celebrate love every day!" and "I don't like to be told when to tell someone I love them" are two other arguments I have heard.  You are right.  We should tell the people we love that we love them.  And it would be great if we did every day.  But sometimes that pesky life thing gets in the way.  Sometimes we get so caught up in keeping up that things we should do ends up being things that I should have done.  


Sometimes.


So here comes this nice little holiday to remind you.  It can be as simple as that.  A reminder.  You don't have to buy big huge rocks or hundreds of red roses.  I start brainstorming in the beginning of February.  I was busy brainstorming tonight and drove right past my house, so I can't put all the blame on my CD.  I like to do little things to remind the hubs that I still love him.  Drawing hearts on the bathroom mirror or making his cup of coffee before mine.  I love buying a box of Valentines and sending them out.  It reminds me of being a kid again.  And now that I have my very own Clover, I let her pick out the Valentines.  She went with Olivia just in case you were wondering.  We make our own Valentines as well.  Red paint and glitter flying everywhere!  


The hubs and I have spent every Valentine's day the same.  A home made dinner and a rental.  Usually a steak and potato dinner for the hubs and a girlie movie for me.  After Clover's eyes close and she is snug in her bed, the hubs and I get time to ourselves.  Picking the movie takes longer than anything else.  Last year we watched Outsourced.  Which was very cute.  It's a night that we know we get to spend time with each other without any distractions.  No computers or cell phones.  Just us.  


Yes, we should be spending quality time like that all of the time, but ya know...sometimes...life.  So what's wrong with using the holiday as a reminder?  I guess I am a little confused to why that's a bad thing.  



No comments:

Post a Comment