Monday, March 10, 2014

That Day Is Not Today

My baby, okay she really isn't a baby anymore, will be 6 in less than two weeks.  Here is my annual freak out blog post.

SIX!!!

I'm still shaking my head at the fact that I have an almost six year old.  I started using the "almost six year old" phrase last month to prepare myself for her birthday and the fact that she will no longer be five.  I am still not prepared.

That's more than one hand!

Her favorite book right now is called "If I could keep you little" by Marianne Richmond.  Well, one of her favorite books, she has a lot of favorites.  This one sticks out because when we first started reading it, it was one of my favorites.  Now that it's getting closer to her birthday I get a little emotional while reading it.  Especially at the end because Clover wraps her arms around me and says "Mom, I wish I could keep you just like this!".  Which I think means in her bed because that is where we snuggle and read and she is just like her Momma and hates sleeping by herself.

We as parents survived another year!  I think we are doing a pretty good job (ifidosaysomyself).  We started preschool and then started Kindergarten.  She went from ABC's to sight words to writing full on sentences.  We had parent teacher conferences and fun stuff like vacations.  We did a jog a thon and a marathon in the same year.  All of us are still standing and have all our digits.  I think we deserve a pat on the back.     

I know I sound a bit rambly.  My thoughts are unorganized and all over the place.  I know that this moment will pass but for me right now this is my Mommy moment.  You can click here if you want to read my Mommy moment from three years ago.  Remember when she was little?

I do.

She was a pretty happy baby (when she didn't have gas).  She had so much personality for something so small.  I know that there is a nature vs nurture debate out there.  But hands down I can tell you that this kid was born with it.  She was the one that was going to do things in her own sweet time and still does.  She wants to be confident that she can do it well before she takes the leap.  When she was 15 months and still not walking I was on the border of freaking out.  Especially since my friend's kids were walking before a year.  Once she was confident enough to let go of the couch, she went for it.  Then she started running everywhere and I really haven't gotten her to stop.  Same thing with the potty training.  All my friend's kids were all there and we were still in pull ups.  I started to get frustrated but then I had to stop and remind myself that it wasn't about me.  It was about her and her comfort level.  And really NO ONE asks on a college application when you were potty trained or when you learned your sight words.  So that is one comforting thought when you are on social media and all of your friends are bragging like new parents do and you are sitting in the back feeling like you are twiddling your thumbs.  Social media can be a negative influence to a new parent but that is a rant and rave for another day.

Oh you know all those things people say about redheads.  I have heard them all from a bunch of different sources.  Friends, family, random people on the street and strangers in the super market.  I had one lady stop me one time and remind me that "You know, people like to blame it on the hair but you know that's not it right?"  Yes, lady in the chips isle.  I know my kid is spunky and fiery.  She was born that way, and I do know that it's not the hair.  But it's still fun to blame it on the hair anyways.

And ohhhh the one I hate is "free spirit".  "She is such a free spririt!"  I can never tell if this is supposed to be a compliment or a back handed stab at the fact that my child doesn't care that she is fully clothed, she is going to jump in that pool anyways!  She is a kid.  Kids do unconventional things.  I don't have a problem with it.  It makes life silly and fun.  And we could all use a little more of that.

Even as an adult, I wish I could be more like my 6 year old.  She is so social, and I know she must get that from her Dad.  Definitely not from me!  She loves to talk to people and wants to be friends with everyone.  I can't help but be in awe of her.

I know that she is getting bigger but she still loves to snuggle and cuddle.  When she crawls into my lap I hold on to her real tight.  One day she will be too big to sit in my lap.  Or she just might not want to anymore.  But that day is not today.  I'm going to enjoy it while I can.  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment