Saturday, February 23, 2013

Our Monster Problem

We have always been in the imagination phase.  Normally I LOVE it.  I love hearing about what's inside my almost five year old's brain.  She comes up with the most fascinating things.  Lately, however she has been scaring herself.

We have had a monster problem.

We have explored many avenues.  We have tried explaining that there are no such things as monsters.  She has a nightlight.  We have tried books.  We came up with a Monster Spray.  We mixed up some essential oil in water and squirted it around her room.  The Spray worked for a little bit but she still seems scared in her own room.  That part makes me sad because even though I know there is nothing in there to be scared of, she has frightened herself.

She asked me the other day why I wasn't scared of monsters and I told her it was because I had a baseball bat and I beat one up so he told everyone to stay away from our house.  The next day she asked for my baseball bat.  Here is the part where everyone that knows me has a chuckle because I really do have a baseball bat by my bed.

So that night we had a Target trip and while we were there she picked out her own baseball bat.  It's pink and has Hello Kitty on it.  At this point I just want her to feel safe and if she feels safer knowing she can kick some monster butt then I'm okay with that.

So I will just leave this from Dr. Seuss

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment