Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Crock Pot Monday - A Day Later

Yesterday was busy.  As busy as a Monday can get.  Highlights were home made Chicken Noodle Soup, watching my baby girl dance (I know I know she is almost 5), afternoon movie break and fudge in the shape of a Mickey head!

Since I knew it was going to be a busy Monday, after grocery shopping I threw some stuff in the crock pot and made some of the easiest and most delish Chicken stock.  I wanted to do a whole chicken but all of the chickens out in the case were frozen, so I went with bone in chicken breast.  I threw five in there knowing I could use the chicken in something else later in the week.  I threw in the chicken, an onion, and some carrots and celery.  I covered that with some filtered water.  Then I added a bay leaf or two and some salt and pepper and left it on high for five hours.  I strained the stock before I used in the Chicken Noodle Soup.  It was the best chicken stock I have ever made an I didn't have to babysit it or anything.  I think the crock pot method is going to be my new stock method from now on.

On a side note, my darling Clover and I had the meat discussion in the grocery store the other day.  She had finally put together that the animal and the food we eat are both called Chicken.  So she wanted to know where they come from and what happens.  I had that "Okay, what do I tell her?" thought.  I thought about lying to her but I really didn't want to do that.  So I told her the truth.  It was the condensed version.  Farm to Processor to Grocery Store to Kitchen.  Then she asked me if I have ever killed a chicken to which I answered No.  I don't even like cutting up chicken to cook it.  Seriously it grosses me out.  She was a little grossed out too.  She ended the conversation with "Mom!, That is so gross!"  I am pretty sure that she is going to be my little vegetarian.  She's always eaten more veggies than meat so I'm sure I will not be shocked.  I am already anticipating it in the 10-13 year age range.  It will be interesting to see if she gives up bacon though.    

No comments:

Post a Comment