Tuesday, July 10, 2012

If There Is One Thing

If there is one thing this girl can do...you know besides write really long sentences featuring emoticons...

This girl can cook!

There I said it.  And I will just pat myself on the back, thankyouverymuch.  When I first started this blog of mine I didn't intend to blog so much about food.  But it is a blog that encompasses major areas of my life and food (good food) just happens to be one of those areas.

Tonight I tried my hand at making Indian food for the first time.  In all my years of cooking, and there have been many, I have never tried making Indian food.  And I've been cooking since I was ten.  The biggest reason for this is that I never knew if I liked Indian food.  I actually haven't tried anything Indianish except for the Curry Chicken Salad at Whole Food's and I'm not really sure if that counts.  Well for Father's Day this year we tried a local Indian place with a couple of friends and it turns out I loved it.

So the next step for me would be to make it at home.

I found this recipe over at The Pioneer Woman for Tikka Masala.  My first hurdle was finding Garam Masala.  The local mega mart did not have a very large Indian section which was sad.  So I turned to the trusty internets and ordered some off of Amazon.  Then while shopping at another store I found some and bought that.  When I got home I compared the two only to find that they were completely different.  One was more of a sweet and the other a savory.  One's main ingredient was nutmeg and the other's was coriander.  So in a moment of indecision, I used both.  I did add another tablespoon of the mix since it didn't seem seasoned enough for me.

The recipe was really easy and basically if you can make chili, you can make this dish.

Don't tell Hubby it was Whole Wheat Naan.  Shhh

I served it with some Naan bread and some rice from the freezer section.  I was too busy working on the sauce and grilling the chicken to focus on the rice so I used some Trader Joe's.

Watching Hubby's reaction was priceless.  It was the first time in a long while that I was able to surprise him and he told me so.  He said it was amazing and he couldn't believe that I made it after only having it one time.

I told him that if there is one thing this girl can do...

1 comment:

  1. You really are an excellent cook! Thank you for muffins this AM and for Emmy's dress and well just letting us hangout with your family! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete