Saturday, March 3, 2012

That Time Of Year Again

 I'm going to get a little sappy on you.  My not so little Clover's birthday is coming up.  Her party planning started in January.  We started by picking a theme and brainstorming.  She is old enough now to have some major input on what she wants.  She even helped me make the invitations.  Even though I said we were doing a small party we ended up making 16 invites.

Im keeping myself busy with tiny details of party planning and vacation checklists.  Little bits to keep my mind distracted.  All that effort to stop myself from focusing on how my little baby is no longer a little baby.  She hasn't been a baby for while and mentally I know that but still...she's going to be 4 years old!  I know all you veteran parents out there are probably rolling your eyes and telling me to get over it.  Kind of how I giggle at new parents when I realize that I was once like that.

She will tell you that she is absolutely not a little baby anymore.  We've had many conversations about not to be rude when informing people that she is indeed a big girl.  There has been lots of "I"M NOT A BABY" moments.  She loves to correct waitresses and checkers at the grocery store.  One guy commented that she was being such a good girl and her first thought was "Mom, at least that guy didn't call me little!"

Since I can remember she has always had an opinion.  And even though we have our battles every now and then I really do love how independent she is.

Even her face looks like it's changing to me.  Every year I notice how much older she looks.  This year she is a preschooler.  That is so much older than I think I am ready for.  I was good with the infant/toddler years.  I had plenty of experience with that age group after having my own classroom for many many years.  After she outgrew that stage I have been winging it.

I can't help but get a little teary eyed when I think about how far we have come and how big she is getting.  They are absolutely happy tears.  I'm not sure why it seems to hit me so much right around her birthday.  I guess it's just that time of year again.

1 comment:

  1. Awww!! :*(

    I can't imagine what her personality and independence will be like at 12 :P

    ReplyDelete