Monday, May 23, 2011

Where is My Helmet?

So, grief.  Not exactly the funnest thing ever.  There are so many complex layers.  So many combinations of emotions that you go through.  Some you are prepared for.  Some you are not.  

I've been stuck on this one thought.  It's dumb but I can't seem to get it out of my head.  

Life is Hard, Buy a Helmet.  

I think that as part of that kit that they give new parents in the hospital…the one with samples of formula and a pamper, they should include safety gear.  An adjustable helmet that you can wear well into adulthood, along with matching knee pads and elbow guards.  Mine would be hot pink.  

Why would you need a helmet?  Because Life is hard.  It's lumpy and bumpy and sometimes you fall.  Okay in reality, you are going to fall…a lot.  But, that's okay.  It's human nature to stumble.  All of us have moments where we fall.  It's not IF you fall.  Because you are going to (that's why you need the helmet).  It's how you handle it when you do.  Life is hard like that.  

But here is the thing…You have to get back UP.  

There are two kinds of people in the world.  The kind that fight to get back up and the kind that figure that while they are down, they will just stay down there for awhile.  

If you are lucky enough you may have a few people along the way that were nice enough to offer their hand to help you up.  As you get up, look them straight in the eyes and make sure you say THANK YOU.  Thank you for making my life just a bit easier.  If only for a moment, that tiny bit of help, even just an offer can make all the difference in the world.  I can only hope that I can offer my hand and repay the few people that have helped me up.  I have always been surprised by those who have offered a hand.  Most of the time, it's never who I expect it to be.  Life is funny like that.    

I am trying my best to remember to appreciate the people around me.  Sometimes we get so involved in what is going on around us we can't see past our own noses.   I have had my moments and have dealt and continue to deal with my fair share of these people.  These also seem to be the same people who have more than a little bit of trouble getting back up.  Even when I have offered my hand, these people refuse any help and continue to chill.  Do you think if I bought helmets and started handing them out they would get the point?  

I am at a point where I am trying to be sympathetic.  Honestly, my patience has a limit.  I'm not a psychiatrist or a psychology major so I am not sure if what I am going through is a normal part of grief.  Maybe I am just absolutely tired of people who have continually asked for things of us while we are going through this tough time.  Instead of offering sympathies they continue to peck away at my patience.  Guess what?  Now is not the time.  

In my efforts to get back UP, I find myself being pulled back down.  They can try all they want but I have always been one of those people who have fought to get back UP.  It's not ever easy.  Maybe life would be a simpler if they just told you that in the beginning when they handed you your helmet!  
              

No comments:

Post a Comment