Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's Been Quiet Around Here

When I first met her she was just a friends mom.  She was nice and was the stereotypical stay at home mom.  She had a mini van and drove her kids everywhere.  She wore her signature huge sunglasses while doing all of it.  

Later on down the line I started dating her son.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared of her.  One of my first encounters with her as the "girlfriend" was slightly scary.  Or at least scary to a fifteen year old girl.  Her son and I were getting ready to go out on a date after he got his license and we would be *gasp*  unsupervised.  

She sat in the living room with a large smile on her face.  She looked at me and yelled "I don't have to sit you down and explain the birds and the bees to the two of you, do I?"

I could feel myself turning five shades of red.  

"NO ma'am!"  I respectfully replied.

I don't think I kissed him that night.  

For the longest time I didn't think she liked me.  Then one night I was on the phone with my boyfriend and I heard her.  "That better not be any other girl you're talking too!  You have that nice girl! "  We both started laughing.  At least I knew she liked me.  

Further down the line the boy became my fiance, who got stuck being my husband.  I joke about being together forever but we really have.  :)  <--I added the smiley to keep it in context.  

For the last twelve years she has been my mother in law.  They welcomed me into the family with open arms and I was proud to share the family name.  

When my daughter was born with red hair we were surprised.  We knew instantly where she got it from.  She got it from her Nana.  We also blame the stubborn streak on Nana too.  

As stubborn as Nana was, she could only fight for so long.  We lost her last tuesday to various health issues.  It's been a hard, busy week.   I've been trying to focus on the positive around me.  It felt weird that I haven't blogged but I haven't known what to say or how to say it.  

So I will just say 

Rest In Peace Nana.  We will miss you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment