So anyways. Back in December we broke our bed. The how is not important (it's exactly how you think). It was an Ikea Malm that we bought probably in 2004. I don't remember the exact trip it was because we have made several day trips to Ikea to furnish the house. The metal support beam snapped in half. In the middle of the night we cleaned everything from out of underneath the bed and put the mattress on the floor. And there it sat for awhile until we figured out what we wanted to do. Then things just kept getting added on and on and on.
It took us awhile to find a bed that we wanted. We wanted something that was going to last. Something a little taller than the Malm. We found the Daniel Amish line. You can customize the stain, wood and hardware. We originally passed it over because we thought it was going to be more pricy than other sets in the store but they were all around the same price. So we picked out the exact one we wanted. But seeing as it's customized we would have to wait eight to ten weeks. So ten more weeks of sleeping on a mattress on the floor.
During that time we decided to paint. Which in itself is a large project. We are very lucky that we had help. The guys went to patch a spot in the ceiling. That part took three days. The first patch they tried fell out completely.
Mold, falling patches and dry wall, oh my!
The guys got it figured out and it looks great. We also installed a new ceiling fan while they were up there. And since the power was out we installed new electrical outlets since the other ones had paint on them.
Check those bad boys out! No not the guy installing them (although the front of him is cute too)...the outlet with the USB charger built in! I was so excited when I found these in Home Depot I squealed! It's one of those things I've seen online or in magazines but I never thought I would find here. So when I found them I was very giddy. I know, I nerded out a bit with these. I love them! I don't have to search for a power brick. I just plug in my cable and I'm good. That color is called Mint Shake. It's bright and it makes me happy just looking at it.
So installing, painting, fixing, everything looks brand new except the floor. The old carpet that has been there for I don't know how long, through two sets of owners with pets...yeah that had to go!
New hotness, with my forehead in the foreground.
So after all that waiting, and a few days of sleeping on the mattress in the living room, we finally moved everything for furniture day! Yay! So they came and the first problem that they ran into was that the bed wouldn't fit through the hallway! Insert overdramatic "Noooooooooooooo!" here. So they took it through the sliding glass doors. Which is probably the only thing that they have ever been used for. Then when they brought the dresser in they walked right into my light fixture in the entry way...and broke it.
After all of that they put the mattress on the bed and it doesn't fit. Here is where I waited to buy a new mattress because when we bought the bed I asked the guy
"I noticed that you are writing Cal King on everything. We have a regular King size bed. (which apparently is called an Eastern King)."
Furniture Guy: "Oh you have an Eastern King? It'll fit"
Me: "What if we want to buy a new one? What size do we buy? What if we buy a Cal King?"
Furniture guy: "Oh that will fit too"
And then I sat there with my forehead scrunched trying to process how both sizes could fit on the bed. That is why I waited to purchase the mattress. So then I had to wait another two weeks for the mattress to come in. They called the night before and gave me a 1-4pm time frame. So after I dropped Clover off at school I went to Home Depot and picked up some vertical blinds for the sliding glass door since for the last three months it has had a sheet tacked up over the door. So as I was in the check out at 10 am they called and said they were twenty minutes away. I'm not sure how 10 is near 1 or 4. So I raced home just in time. These guys delivered the mattress and managed not to break anything.
The last thing that was waiting for me was the blinds. The LAST thing. Yeah, stupid blind took me three hours to install!
Start to finish, the entire bedroom took four months. Some things we anticipated, some took us by surprise. We managed to pull together as a team and get it all sorted out and finished. It's exactly how we want it to be and will probably stay that way forever, because after all of that work I'm not messing with it anytime soon.
And my husband wonders why I need recovery time after home projects.