Sunday, August 17, 2014

Getting My Tie Dye On, Vol. 2

Earlier this Summer, like a month ago, we tried out some tie dying experiments.  While Clover was busy working on her creative t-shirts, I was working on my own creation.  I was trying to recreate this bag I really like.  I like it because it looks like the universe but I hate the straps on it.  They suck.  They don't fit around my arms and I end up carrying it on my wrist which takes one of my hands up.  So my solution was to try and make my own. On to the pictures!

 Took two of my husband's undershirts and chopped the sleeves off.
These are Medium.

I also cut out the neckline and rounded out the bottom.

Using the sleeves as pockets.

Pinning the pockets (sleeves) down.

I sewed the two shirts (purse and liner) together with a zig zag stitch.

Starting to get my dye on.

It looks really really dark.  

Even with the gloves this stuff stained my hands.

Resting in the bag.

Rinsing and trying to take a picture without dropping my phone in the bucket.

After rinsing.  
I used a scrunchie sewed in between the purse and lining as a closure.  I just have to sew the button on the other side.

I splattered some bleach to add some "star" looking effect.

After the bleach was rinsed and dried.

Up Close of the final product.

It's big enough to hold a lot of stuff.  The pockets are nice to keep track of the little stuff.  There is a little stretch to it because it's made out of a two t shirts.  If I was going to do it again I might use a more stiffer fabric for the lining.  Over all I am pretty pleased with the results.  I might make another one but I think my husband has started to hide his undershirts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment