Monday, July 29, 2013

We've Been In The Kitchen

It's hot here.  And if you can't stand the heat...you hide inside and find stuff to do.  No really you do.  So a couple of weeks ago while brainstorming things to do I came across some kids cookbooks.  It sounded like a good idea.  I love that I can find a lot of variety on Amazon but waiting for everything to come in is torture.

They came in one by one.  As soon as we got our first one, we got to cooking!

 Clover picked the Soy Needles.

 From the Feed Our Small World Cookbook for Kids.
The recipes in this book are fairly simple.  Even though Clover is only five she could make several of the recipes.  They all have full color pictures.  I boiled the noodles and Clover mixed everything together.  She tried to chop the green onions with a butter knife but gave up because her "hand got tired".  She also measured all of the ingredients but insisted that she taste everything before it went into the bowl.  

This was our end result.  Even though she made it, she didn't like it.  I thought it was pretty tasty.  She got points for trying it at least.     

Then my Tiana book came in!  Now Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney movies but I am not THAT  big of a fan where I would pay $80 bucks for a cookbook.  Luckily I found the only one listed for $6 and bought that one.  The corner was bent but that was the extent of the damage that was done to it so I thought it was a pretty good deal.   Clover went through the book and picked out a recipe.  She wanted to make "Dumbo".  Took me a minute to figure out that she wanted to make Gumbo.  But mostly because she wanted shrimp.  I made two versions of this because I don't do seafood.

Check it out I'm a drink!  Okay really it was the snake.

 I've never had gumbo before but with only five instructions I figured I could give it a try.

 Baking the rue instead of stove cooking it.  Clover measured and stirred the rue.  She also had to try each ingredient before she added them to the pan.  I popped it in the oven.  Took about thirty minutes to darken the rue.  But I was able to cook the base and chop veggies while this was in the oven.

 Clover chopped the sausage with her butter knife.  mmmmm.  Smells Yummy!

How Clover ate hers.  She's not one for mixed up stuff.  

It was pretty delicious.  We even had it the next day for lunch.  It made quite a lot.  We have a couple more books we are making our way through.  I bought one of the Rachael Ray for kids cookbooks and I wasn't impressed but maybe it is for older kids.  The first recipe is for bagel pizzas with ketchup and hotdogs.  Maybe our pallet is more refined than that.

And for some reason when we get in the kitchen we get this song stuck in our head.  Since her cookbooks are now on the shelf it's the first lyric she sings.  


Also here is the bonus episodes of Good Eats that involve cooking with kids.  My kid is a lot younger so she doesn't have her own knife yet but she does have her own measuring cups and a cutting board.  

Sandwiches

Soups

No comments:

Post a Comment