Sunday, October 21, 2012

We Are No Longer Air Mattress People

Just got back from taking the Hubby camping and we have figured out that we are no longer air mattress people.  We LOVE camping but there has to be a better alternative than sleeping on what the Hubby has nicknamed "the beach ball".  I think that I was experiencing some sleep deprivation because for some reason every time he asked who was moving on the beach ball, it sent me into giggles.  Probably because he was right.  It did feel like we were camping on a giant beach ball.  We also had to downsize from our normal king size bed to a queen beach ball so Clover had to sleep on her own aero bed so she was not happy that she couldn't cuddle in our bed.  And believe me she let me know at four o clock in the morning that she was not happy.

Back in the day when we had our Honda Element we would remove the seats and sleep on a futon mattress that fit in the back.  It was awesome.  However we were also a lot younger and didn't need that much sleep.  Oh my how things have changed.

We have entered into discussions about trailers.  We are still on the fence since that will be a major investment.  Even though we love sleeping outdoors it's hard to fall asleep when real owls are hooting right outside your tent.  Like literally ON TOP of your tent.  I'm used to falling asleep to noise but not real owls hooting.  It kept Hubby up which kept me up because he needs it quiet to sleep and I need him to be snoring for me to fall asleep.  So nature conspired against both of us the first night.  The second night it was much colder and the fog had set in.  For some reason the owls didn't feel like making an appearance.  

We camped at Morro Bay State Campground.  We love it there.  There is a perfect mix of woodsy mountain camping with the water right next door.  The marina is literally across the street.  Clover had a blast exploring and building herself a shelter like the ones she sees on survivor type shows she watches with her daddy.  It was super cute.  And while there are food boxes I wondered why they were needed since I always assumed that they were bear boxes.  I guess the correct term is "Critter" boxes.  We made the mistake of leaving left over hot links on the table along with the bun.  In the morning the birds had eaten the bun but the hot links and the plate where missing.  I thought this was weird since there aren't a lot of meat eating critters out.  I figured someones dog got loose.  Then the more I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that it was a raccoon.

 
My suspicions were confirmed later on our second evening.  Clover was down for bed and Hubby was on his cell.  I was sitting by the fire.  I look over at some movement I saw out of the corner of my eyes.  There is the largest raccoon I have ever seen just walking through my campsite like it's no big thing.  He looks at me and gives me the "Wassup" head nod and keeps walking.  He disappeared into the night...like Batman.  My phone was dead so I wasn't able to get a picture of Batman (the raccoon version) so you will just have to take my word that that is what he looked like.  Except bigger.  I do sort of feel bad because Batman (the raccoon version) was probably all set with his tasty newly stolen meat treat only to be greeted with a mouth full of jalapeño hot linky fire.  Later that evening he came back and stole my Cherry Pepsi that I had on the table.  Can and all.  I heard him snatch it off of the table but by the time I poked my head out of the tent he was gone.  Once again like Batman.

I've seen a lot of nature while camping but the first time I've seen a raccoon or heard owls so that part was pretty neat although at the time I was a bit freaked out.  I'de take a raccoon in my campsite over a snake any day of the week.

Even though we love camping it was nice to come home to a big bed and a working shower!  Which we might have if we buy a trailer.  Anyone have any camping ideas for a family of three?        

2 comments:

  1. My cousin has a cute little pop-up trailer she is pretty happy with: and Alan is trying to unload a GIANT Tow-behind RV. I am sure he's make you a good deal: it just needs TLC (and a big place to live!)

    ReplyDelete