A YEAR AND A HALF IN THE MAKING...AND IT'S FINALLY DONE! 252 HOURS OF KNITTING...2 HOURS FOR THE CROCHET BORDER.
If you knew how much I worked on this you would be shouting from the roof top with me!
Hubby's Zelda Blanket! Yes, I know it's Link.
252 mitered squares!
Don't forget the sword.
The wheels started turning when I saw this Mario blanket crocheted with Granny squares. I discussed it with the Hubs since he is a retro gamer. He said he was much more of a Zelda fan boy than Mario. I was never that into Zelda but since it was his blanket I went with his idea. I started sketching out a chart which I thought would be easy since it is 8 bit so it's all squares anyways. Three charts later I came up with the chart.
I freaked out about three times when I lost it.
After a year and a half this is what it looked like.
This is a point in the story where I say that I meant for it to be a massive project but that would just be a lie. When I started I wanted it to be lap blanket. I obviously didn't concentrate on gauge. When I started I knew that each square would take an hour so I wanted the square to be large enough to justify knitting for an hour. I don't knit little things. If I spend the time on it I want it to be big. It is huge. So much larger than my king size bed. No wonder it took a year and a half. Although I did take a couple breaks from it to work on some baby blankets. I started with three skeins of each color and lost track of how many times I went back to the craft store for more. It is knit in acrylic. And there is where the hard core knitters *gasp*. But after you wash it with some fabric softener it softens up. I wanted to keep track of everything so I could write my own tutorial but I lost track of so many things so many times I just gave up. So it's not really a tutorial or anything. I just wanted to scream that IT'S DONE!