Saturday, February 11, 2012

OH YEAH!

Have you ever had a moment where you want to shout something off of your rooftop?  I am having one of those moments!

A YEAR AND A HALF IN THE MAKING...AND IT'S FINALLY DONE!  252 HOURS OF KNITTING...2 HOURS FOR THE CROCHET BORDER.

If you knew how much I worked on this you would be shouting from the roof top with me!

Hubby's Zelda Blanket!  Yes, I know it's Link.

252 mitered squares!

Don't forget the sword.

The wheels started turning when I saw this Mario blanket crocheted with Granny squares.  I discussed it with the Hubs since he is a retro gamer.  He said he was much more of a Zelda fan boy than Mario.  I was never that into Zelda but since it was his blanket I went with his idea.  I started sketching out a chart which I thought would be easy since it is 8 bit so it's all squares anyways.  Three charts later I came up with the chart.
I freaked out about three times when I lost it.

After a year and a half this is what it looked like.  

This is a point in the story where I say that I meant for it to be a massive project but that would just be a lie.  When I started I wanted it to be lap blanket.  I obviously didn't concentrate on gauge.  When I started I knew that each square would take an hour so I wanted the square to be large enough to justify knitting for an hour.  I don't knit little things.  If I spend the time on it I want it to be big.  It is huge.  So much larger than my king size bed.  No wonder it took a year and a half.  Although I did take a couple breaks from it to work on some baby blankets.  I started with three skeins of each color and lost track of how many times I went back to the craft store for more.  It is knit in acrylic.  And there is where the hard core knitters *gasp*.    But after you wash it with some fabric softener it softens up.  I wanted to keep track of everything so I could write my own tutorial but I lost track of so many things so many times I just gave up.  So it's not really a tutorial or anything.  I just wanted to scream that IT'S DONE!  

No comments:

Post a Comment