It can hold all sorts of stuff including pretty little pots full of sparkly eye shadow. I brainstormed for a few days about the best way to tackle this. I wanted a magnet board but I wanted a pretty one. I didn't want to over think it because I wanted to be able to find materials here in town and not custom order something online.
The frame is from Wal-Mart and has been in the cabinet forever. The magnet board is from the teenybopper/locker part of the back to school section at Target.
Step one, disassemble the magnet board.
I took the cardboard off of the back of it. I just had to pry the corners over and it slipped right off. I was worried I was going to have to saw through this but as soon as the cardboard came off the metal was flexible enough to cut with scissors.
Cut to fit the 5x7 frame.
I took some scrap fabric and covered the magnet board with some overlap on the back and hot glued the ends down. Then put the back of the frame on.
I found these magnets at Orchard and had them left over from another craft project so I took those and hot glued them to the back of my pots.
Overall the project was about five dollars out of pocket since I had most of the components laying around. It took about ten minutes AFTER I figured out that the backing comes off the magnet board. I did spend about twenty minutes looking for the saw and glue gun before I started.
My finished set up.
It looks nothing like that now. I found some spooky books when I was picking up something from Orchard so I subbed those out for the gray books.