Friday, November 22, 2013

Sometimes I Feel Like I Need A Bullhorn!

I'm a bit ranty this morning.  My computer is telling me that ranty is not a word but I assure you it is.  So why am I so fired up this morning? 

Because I witnessed yet another parent taking their child to school without a proper seat harness on!

Now, I am a firm believer in not telling people how to parent their kids.  I may offer suggestions or tell you what worked for us but in no way do I doll out the advice anymore.  I have learned my lesson.  No one likes unsolicited advice anyways.  But this isn't advice. 

This is plain o freakin common sense!

PUT YOUR CHILD IN A PROPER CAR SEAT AND BUCKLE THEM IN ON THE WAY TO AND FROM SCHOOL!    

Yes, I understand that you ONLY live a few blocks from school.  I DON'T CARE. 

Okay, let's say that you are a great driver and you have confidence that nothing will happen.  Guess What?  I still don't care.  There is a reason they are called accidents.  You can trust yourself all you want but that doesn't stop anyone else from hitting you.

It's a school zone, people drive safe.  Really?  Then why did our city hand out over two hundred tickets during their crackdown the first week of school?  

ANYTHING can happen in those few blocks and heaven forbid you get t-boned or rear ended, YOUR KID is going to be the first one who gets injured because they weren't strapped in properly.  If your car is in motion your kid should be strapped in.  You love them don't you?  Then stop playing the cool parent and letting your child play in the back seat or hang out of the damn window.  It is YOUR responsibility.  Not your five year olds.  I see you buckling yourself in but not your kid?  What is wrong with you?  Do you really need a list of things NOT TO DO? 

DON'T put them in the front seat if they are not old enough. 
DON'T let them hang out of the window.
DON'T throw them in the back seat and drive off.  (I'm looking at you red truck with the lift kit and the racing stickers)

MAKE sure your child is in the proper car seat and buckled in.  

This morning I saw someone take their kindergartener to school in the front seat.  EVERY single day I am watching multiple parents leave school without making sure their child/children are properly seated and buckled in.  It takes two minutes of your time and could save their life if anything happens.  So I don't understand why parents would take that unnecessary risk.  That is why I am so fired up.  It's so simple but seems to be something so many people are missing.  I feel like a crazy lady on the corner with a bullhorn.  I may start screaming at people.

CDC-Child Passenger Statistics

California Department of Public Health-Car Seat Basics

No comments:

Post a Comment