Wednesday, August 21, 2013

To My Congressman/Woman or Person In Charge of These Things

You see I am a parent of a brand new Kindergartener.  Being that this is our first year I have some new observations.  I was a little shocked to see the new classroom sizes for this year.  Now, I have met our teacher.  I have seen her in action and I believe that she can indeed handle 33 five year old.  Buy my question is:  Can you?

You see, I also heard that this number is not final this year.  I also heard that you may increase this number.  So before you do this, I have a proposition for you.  Why don't you take a month off of your important law making job and put yourself in the teacher's position, fully.  Not observing or helping out.  I'm talking 100% the whole enchilada teaching.  For a month, you will be a Kindergarten teacher.  You will dry their tears when they miss mom and dad or wipe their snotty noses or tie their shoes, all of that now times it by 33.  And an added twist to the situation, you only get paid a teacher's salary.

I understand that you see education as a place where the budget can get cut.  I get that at the end of the day it's all a numbers game.  There is a larger argument to be made about how much we are investing into our future generation, which as a whole doesn't seem to be a lot.  But for the sake of making this short...I seriously doubt that by the end of my proposed month you will think that 33 kids in a classroom is a feasible idea.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment